Apr 29, 2008

The Engagement Story

Thankfully I saved this story so I could bring it back up anytime I needed to share it, though I did update the ending:)

I had an "exciting" week in VT with my family for Christmas, but the Friday after I planned to go to Sean's house and spend the week. Mom, Tim, and I drove down from VT down to Sean's area - Tim had a track meet on Saturday back home that he couldn't miss - and dropped me off. Sean and I spent the morning with his mom and grandma before Sean decided we should go out for lunch. Me, being the empty pit of the relationship, agreed to a quiet lunch at a buffet Chinese restaurant with someone I loved dearly....does that get any better???

After lunch, we went to Kingston Point, which is a bit of a park but really a rocky beach on the edge of the Hudson River. There's a trolley track (no longer in use) that runs along the edge that we were able to walk on for a bit. After some walking, Sean in his sneakers complained of a rock in his shoe, but I laughed at him and we still walked on a bit.

We got down closer to the Hudson and saw how beautiful it was with all the random ice sheets. Sean looked down further and saw an otter, so we decided to check it out. On the way down the rock beach. Sean complained of his shoe and the rock(s) it contained. I told him to sit down and fix it, which he happily complied with while I continued in search of the creature. (Note: it wasn't until a day later that Sean explained that there was never any rock in his shoe....**feels dumb**)
Sean called me back, I think he said something like "Hey Becca, come back here." Anyway, when I got back to him, he was finishing his shoe-tying abilities and said "Hey, check out this rock" and he was holding up my ring.
At first, I was confused. I admit, at times I can be quite slow in my thinking. I was wondering how he got ahold of someone's ring, and then I noted the sapphires and the grin on his face. While thinking about it right now, I feel tears in my eyes, but when I was in that moment, I laughed and giggled like I've never done before. I said yes over and over. He put the ring on me and hugged me and kissed me. We were both excited about this new step in both of our lifes that only God could have planned!

I found out later that his parents and grandma both knew, so when we got back to the house later they were very anxious to see the ring on my finger! Later that night Sean and I went to a family-owned restaurant just a short, brisk walk from his house, and celebrated.

I still can't believe that I'm engaged. Neither can half my friends - it's one of those milestones that you never think you'll reach, and when you do, you'll still pinch yourself for months. Hopefully by the time we've picked a wedding date, it'll kick in that I get to be his WIFE!! How exciting!!!!

Note: This picture was one of several Sean took himself for a school project in late March/early April, not the day we were engaged. But I still think it turned out nice!!

4 comments:

  1. You're related to Rachel and Stephen?? How?? We went to school together. Rachel and I lived in the same hall and Stephen and Ethan were in ROTC together. Crazy!

    Caedmon gets a bath about once a week because our backyard and surroundings are sand and dirt. (Yay.) Now that it's warmer I hose his legs off frequently. He's not a fan but his lower half is white and when he's dirty, it's painfully obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes and prayers for a long, contented life together! Do Tom and Karin know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from the blog bundles of joy and it is just interesting that it sounds like you go to Liberty University; and there is a guy that is graduating in May from our church that will be attending there in the fall of 2008. Small world isn't it. Sounds like you are nearing the end of your college days, is that right? Congratulations on your engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca~So glad you were the first to post on our blog. And I finally get to see Sean! What a handsome guy. When are you coming home? I think we are wearing your mom out! : ) We miss you and do hope we get to see you some this summer.

    ReplyDelete